Healthy Snack & Breakfast Recipes for an Active Lifestyle
It’s Spring, and when the sun is out it’s always much easier to maintain an active lifestyle. Whether you’re just getting back into exercise now that the weather is warming up or you’re keeping your workouts going all year round, making sure you have enough energy is so important when it comes to looking after your body.
We all know that what you eat is just as important as the exercise you do in order to stay healthy. Ensuring you’re including all the right nutrients in your everyday meals is key to keeping your energy levels up and immune system healthy. Healthy recipes with plenty of complex carbohydrates and vitamin B12 are a good place to start. Complex carbs are found in things like wholewheat bread and legumes, and vitamin B12 can be found in meat or fish, dairy, eggs, nutritional yeast and algae.
Breakfast is often called the most important meal of the day, and having a snack on hand after a workout is always a necessity to up your energy levels, so we at Spatone wanted to give you some inspiration for both of these!
We’ve worked with Instagrammer Popcorn & Pyjamas to create super healthy snack and breakfast recipes, perfect for anyone with an active lifestyle to try:
HEALTHY SNACK RECIPE
Healthy snacks are a good way to help keep you going during an active day. If you’re feeling an afternoon slump or need a post-workout pick-me-up, this naturally sweet snack will give you a great energy boost.
Frozen Yoghurt Shard
- 400g Greek Yoghurt
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Dried Fruit
- 1 Handful of Fresh Fruit
- 1 Handful of Nuts
- 1 tbsp of Dark Chocolate Chips
- Combine the yoghurt and honey together then stir in your choice of dried fruit.
- Lay greaseproof paper over a baking tray and spread the yoghurt mix out evenly.
- Scatter the fresh fruit, nuts and chocolate chips over the top before leaving in the freezer overnight.
- Carefully cut the frozen shard with a sharp knife into desired sized pieces.
HEALTHY BREAKFAST RECIPE
This delicious and easy breakfast idea is healthy as well as filling, to keep you going all morning after a run or HIIT workout. Iron-rich spinach and protein from the egg makes this a perfect accompaniment for an active lifestyle.
Parmesan and Spinach Smoked Egg in The Hole
- 2 Eggs
- Sourdough Loaf
- 2 Handfuls of Spinach
- Grated Cheese of choice
- Butter (or equivalent)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius for a fan oven.
- Cut a circle out of the sliced sourdough and place on a greaseproof paper-lined baking tray.
- Cook the sourdough for 2 minutes on each side.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and wilt the spinach.
- Crack an egg into each hole of the sourdough, add the spinach and grated cheese on top and bake for 8 minutes.