Give your family a boost with these healthy recipes
February can often be a frustrating month. Although we can see faint signs of spring coming along, it can also feel like winter isn’t going anywhere. The days are dark, it’s cold, and winter tiredness is still a thing. Sometimes all you want to do is cosy up in bed until spring finally arrives.
Keeping our immune systems healthy is something we all try to do and doing all we can to keep ourselves and our families as healthy as possible has never been more important. The long winter months can make it difficult to stay motivated, and with so many unknowns, it’s sometimes difficult to know how to adjust to make sure you’re giving yourself the best chance of staying fighting fit.
Spatone has collaborated with Naomi Isted to bring you a delicious main course recipe and a dessert idea, packed with healthy foods and nutrients to help support your immune system naturally.
Chicken Teriyaki with wholemeal rice and greens
This recipe is packed with delicious green veg and is great for both foodies and picky eaters alike. Broccoli contains phytochemicals, which are great for the immune system. Broccoli is also a good source of fibre, protein, iron, potassium and calcium, helping you meet your nutrient requirements for the day. Brown rice is a better alternative to white rice, providing more fibre and antioxidants which make it an excellent source of energy.
For the teriyaki sauce:
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 5 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ¼ cup cold water
For the rice:
- 1 cup brown rice (short, medium or long grain brown rice will work, as long as it’s not a quick-cooking variety)
- 6 cups water
- Salt, soy sauce or other desired seasonings, to taste
For the chicken:
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs (about 6-7 medium) boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 Tbsp oil (I use light olive oil)
- Pack of green runner beans or broccoli
- 1 Tbsp Sesame seeds
Step 1: Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- Combine 1 cup water, soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, ginger, and garlic powder in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until nearly heated through, about 1 minute.
- Mix corn starch and 1/4 cold water together in a cup; stir until dissolved. Add to the saucepan. Cook and stir sauce until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Step 2: Cook the rice
- Boil your rice in 6 cups of water for 30 minutes. Drain off the excess water, return the rice to the pot, cover, and let the rice steam for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Cook the chicken
- Cut the chicken breast into bite size pieces, season it with salt and pepper and cooked in a pan until no longer pink.
- Add the homemade Teriyaki sauce to the chicken in a pan.
- While cooking the chicken, boil the broccoli or runner beans. Once tender, drain and drizzle with olive oil and top with sesame seeds before serving.
Healthy Dessert Idea: Meringue nest with Coconut Yogurt and Blueberries
- 1 store bought meringue nest per person
- Coconut yoghurt
Place an individual nest in a bowl, spoon coconut yogurt on top and add a handful of blueberries!